This year’s Homecoming Parade will be on Sunday, October 15th. Over the past 34 years, the Homecoming Parade has become the longest running event of UConn Homecoming.
Both the community and the University enthusiastically await the arrival of this parade each year. Judges will be asked to look for originality, group spirit, theme representation and overall presentation quality when judging the parade units.
This year, there will be a number of changes to the parade participation, so please read carefully.
- Securing materials for parade is the responsibility of the sponsoring organization. When preparing the unit for competition, be prepared for the worst kind of weather (although we’re hoping for sunshine). Consideration will not be given for any adverse effects caused by wind or rain.
- Prop/Carnival Game Assembly
- Location will be in “C Lot” which is off of Discovery Drive.
- Saturday, October 14th, we will open the lot at 12:00pm. The space will be open for you to plan and create props and games.
- The lot will be open from 12:00pm until 7:00pm on Saturday October 14th. You may have at most 100 individuals working on your equipment at this time.
- At 7:00pm all participants must leave C Lot. Everything must be removed from the lot.
- At 11:00 am to 11:30 am all groups will line up on Glenbrook Road – this is where your team should meet for the actual parade.
- 12:00pm Parade kickoff
- 1:00pm Parade Ends – carnival begins
- Absolutely no alcohol or drug use will be allowed to happen during this event. In such circumstance, the team may will be subject to the Student Organizational Conduct Process, and could be barred from participating in Homecoming activities.
Homecoming meetings will keep you up to date on check-in and step-off times and last minute changes; therefore, your attendance at these meetings is highly recommended. Start work now on your parade entry.
- All entries must be submitted by organizations that are registered and in good standing.
- Any type of materials may be used in construction, but for the protection of individuals on the parade unit must be stable and durable.
- Each organization must supply its own tools for dismantling its unit, and will be responsible for proper disposal of the unit – a dumpster will be in C Lot during the duration/end of the build.
- The Student Union Board of Governors and the Homecoming Committee will not be responsible for any damages that occur to any parade unit prior to, during, or after the parade.
- All groups will be marching with a banner/props that represents their theme and organization.
- Your organization’s name must be clearly displayed on your entry.
- On the day of the parade all groups must check in their parade unit starting at 11:00 am. Parade units not checked in by 11:30 am may not be able to participate.
- Any organization, which interferes with the procession or marching of another organization, will be removed from the parade.
- The Homecoming Chairperson will be the immediate authority on any and all matters regarding parade participation.
- All groups participating in the parade will be doing so to show spirit, fun, and unity within UConn.